Seattle Sounders FC wrapped up the Southern California phase of preseason today with a 3-2 win over Loyola Marymount. Earlier in the trip the Sounders played against Peñarol of Uruguay, a 1-0 loss.
Several Tacoma Defiance players racked up minutes alongside MLS Cup winners.
- Shandon Hopeau started both matches, playing with Raul Ruidíaz, Kelvin Leerdam, Gustav Svensson and more. Hopeau played 90+ minutes and tallied an assist.
- Josh Atencio also played 90+ minutes between the two matches and also assisted. Atencio’s playing time was as a defensive midfielder with the younger group.
- Sam Rogers partnered with Xavier Arreaga for 30+ minutes in the match against LMU. He played 60 against Peñarol.
- Danny Robles spent his time against LMU as a defensive midfielder after spending time as an attacking mid against the Uruguayans.
- Marlon Vargas was the central attacking mid in both of his appearances.
- Ray Serrano took the pitch as a winger against Peñarol in his 30 minutes.
- Three Sounders Academy players who wore the black and white of Defiance in 2019 took the field in SoCal as well.
Sounders FC return to Stafire for training from February 1 to 5. They then head to Mexico City for two weeks. Seattle’s first competitive match of the year is Feb. 20 against Olimpia in Concacaf Champions League.
The rest of the Men in Black opened training at Starfire on Monday as the group prepares for Opening Night on March 6.
The 2020 schedule is out – Mapping Defiance: Tacoma’s 2020 Campaign.