Sometimes you need a vacation from your vacations. Two months into summer there were day camps, road trips, flights to family reunions. Those weekends at home are special too. You are familiar with your surroundings. The food, the roads, and the friends are familiar.
After a weekend off, Tacoma Defiance get to enjoy those home comforts. On Friday night Defiance host Orange County SC (7:00 p.m. / watch ESPN+ or at Cheney Stadium).
Forward Alec Diaz sees opportunity in the string of home matches.
“This is a time where we need to take advantage of it. We haven’t got the results we need, but at home with the fans and the atmosphere we can get some good results in the next spell of games here.”
Visiting Orange County SC are merely 1-4-5, -6 away from Championship Soccer Stadium in the OC.
OCSC coach Braeden Cloutier has a diverse attack that features three players with five or more goals. Former Sounder Darwin Jones leads the squad in goals scored.
Defiance coach Chris Little doesn’t want to focus just on Jones.
“It’s not just Darwin. They have Seaton with lots of pace and ability. We have to address that and we have to address who gives them the ball and to limit the target space for them to run into. That’s something that we’ve been talking about. They are a very good team, with good experienced players. We’ve got ideas about how to stop them.”
Tacoma’s strongest performances are when they assert themselves. Little pushes the team to be dominant, to be ruthless.
“We’ve got to impose ourselves on them and ask them questions and cause them problems as well.”
Orange County SC notes
- Midfielder Michael Seaton was a finalist for the July Player of the Month. He had 3 goals and 2 assists in July.
- OCSC played a scrimmage against the US U-17s – including their own goalkeeper as well as two players that suited up for Defiance this year.
- Backline is anchored by MLS veterans Kevin Alston and Leonardo.
- Orange County are 5th in the West in fouls committed, 3rd in yellow card offenses, and tied for 1st in red cards received.
Tacoma Defiance notes
- Ethan Dobbelaere and Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez return from US U-17 World Cup preparatory camp.
- Defiance succeed on 57% of their attempted dribbles. OCSC are at an even 50%.
- Tacoma commit the 4th least fouls in the Western Conference.
MultiCare Pre-Match Health Report
Tacoma – Azriel Gonzalez is out (left foot fracture).
Orange County – No injuries reported.
How to Watch
Stadium: Cheney Stadium, Tacoma
Kickoff Time: Friday, August 9 (7:00 p.m.)
Home: Tacoma Defiance (3-13-5, -34)
Away: Orange County SC (6-7-9, +0)