Our hounds are in pursuit of another home win as Tacoma Defiance host Tulsa Roughnecks FC on Saturday night. With the Dogs of Defiance at our sides our working dogs, terriers, and herders are ready for action.
Young pups can take time to learn. In the attack the Defiance are coming into their own. The 14 goals scored in the last six home matches demonstrate the growing maturity of the squad. Head Coach Chris Little points to the experienced gained in 2019 for the more potent offense.
“Our younger guys are adjusting to the level – Marlon Vargas for example, Danny Robles. They didn’t have a lot of USL experience, so it took a while for them to catch up. Then the new guys that came in – Justin Dhillon learning our system. It took a bit of time for that to happen.”
With time, the terriers at left and right back have learned to be both pesky defenders and tenacious in attack.
“I would also say that the fullbacks are very important to that. Nick Hinds is learning left back. We’re asking more of Denso going forward than has been asked before. It took a little bit of time for that to happen. I think that the guys have a pretty good understanding of some of the principles that we are looking for. We just have to get get more consistent with stability in the backend.”
It’s the defense that Coach Little will need to see a bit more from on Saturday against Tulsa. The Roughnecks are 2-8-6, -21 away from home. They’ve scored 10 goals in their past six matches, a time when the Roughnecks surged to a strong 3-1-2, +2 performance.
Tulsa Roughnecks notes
- Rodrigo Da Costa has 9 goals and 11 assists in his first professional season at age 25.
- Mason Stajduhar (16 starts) and Sean Lewis (13) are nearly even in their starts at goalkeeper this season.
- Fredlin Mompremier and Brayan Reyes are one caution away from suspension for accumulation.
- Their preview.
Tacoma Defiance notes
- Haiti U-23s and Denso Ulysse advanced to the final round of Olympic Qualifying after their 4-0 win over Barbados.
- Nick Hinds is no longer under caution accumulation warning, having had one caution removed under the USL’s Good Behavior incentive.
- Justin Dhillon and Aleks Berkolds are one caution away from suspension for accumulation.
MultiCare Pre-Match Health Report
Defiance – Antonee Burke-Gilroy (left hand surgery) is out.
How to Watch
Stadium: Cheney Stadium, Tacoma, Washington
Kickoff Time: Saturday, September 28 (7:00 p.m.)
Home: Tacoma Defiance (5-19-5, -47)
Away: Tulsa Roughnecks (7-14-9, -21)